Sunday, March 2, 2008

Reminiscing Warmth









I am looking out the window right now at all the white snow covering the ground.  I am laying in bed with my sweet grandma next to me cuddled up tight in a warm blanket as she recoups from surgery.  The space heater is set to high and I have put three pairs of socks on my feet and yet they are STILL cold.  
 
September and October we are ready for a change of season and by November we anxiously await the first snowfall.  In December we all hope for a White Christmas because well, that's how it is supposed to be and it wouldn't be Christmas without it. The skiers and snow boarders hit the slopes on the snow covered mountains and Snowmen start to appear on neighboring lawns.  Then January...a brand new year begins and we are busily distracted by our sincere desires to work on our New Years Resolutions.  Soon January ends, February creeps by and then it is now, the time of year I hate the most!  

I am tired of getting all bundled up just to go to the gym.  My feet have been freezing cold since November.  The snow is no longer beautiful and driving in it ruins my entire day!  I try to see the good and happy of the lingering cold weather but inside my mind I am counting the days until the sun shines down brightly, spreading its warmth down on everyone and everything. 
It was this time, a little over a year ago that my good friend Kelly and I had just about had enough!  We decided to get away taking our friend Nedra up on her invitation to spend a long weekend at her beautiful home in Maui.   Hawaii has always had such a special place in my heart...it is my happy place and I often go there in my mind.  From my days spent there at BYU-Hawaii to the several opportunities I've had to get away and go there on vacation....I can't help but think that for me it is no longer a luxury but a necessity.  

Again, as I look outside the window at the cold, icy snow I now close my eyes and picture myself on those magical, white sandy beaches of Hawaii.  Thank you Nedra for a beautiful trip and thank you Hawaii for countless moments of WARMTH, serenity and peace.

No comments: